Saturday, March 29, 2008

Allegiance: Christ Over Nation

While trying to maintain sanity in the midst of work and class and class work this week I began reading this book Red Letter Christians by Tony Campolo (which I heard of when he visited Hardin-Simmons and on television when he was a guest on The Colbert Report). It is an interesting book written by a very interesting guy. I am over halfway done and agree on some things with Campolo while disagreeing on other issues. I hope to finish the book soon (hopefully this week). I believe in my heart that my allegiance to the United Sates is always subservient to my allegiance to Christ. It bothers me that many times I feel we believe we are more or less Christian if we support our country that if we do not at times.

This is not to state that I do not like my country. I love America... but my first allegiance, my first pledge is to seek the Kingdom of God, to obey Christ, and to sacrifice my all for Him; in whatever manner that service may play out in my daily life. I know I have brothers and sisters in other countries. I know there are Christians all around the world and our technology is ever-more expressing the idea of a "global village" I believe that we as Christians must embrace and realize that the church in universal, it contains various cultures and backgrounds. Within this truth is the fact that every Christian’s allegiance is first to God and Jesus Christ and second to the world in which we live out our life. Does not the kingdom of God take precedence over the Kingdom of Man? (Acts 4:18-20; 5:28-31)

In Christ,
Daniel

Article:
http://erlc.com/article/to-whom-do-you-pledge-your-allegiance

No comments:

Post a Comment