Sunday, July 1, 2012

Modern Retelling of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10)


On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”  “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?” He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”  “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”  But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” 
 – Luke 10:25-29


Chaplain = Hi, one of the hospital chaplains, coming to see how people are doing on the floor today. How are you doing today?

Patient = (The patient stares at me for a second and kind of grunts) How do you think I am doing? All I wanted to do was get into town to see my family and get some money… and then I end up here.

Chaplain = Oh, Tell me more.

Patient = Well, I was on my way to from the town where I live to the town where my family lives. See, my car is my only mode of transportation… and… well, it broke down. I had family in a close town but none of them could make it to me, so I decided to go to them. I mean, I needed my car repaired; otherwise I can’t get to my job.

Chaplain = So, how did you end up like this?

Patient = Don’t rush me chaplain, I will get there… I am still a little out of it, because of what has all happened, and now my injuries, and these medications… Anyway, so I was walking down the road. It is like 100 degrees outside and I was sweating so much. I was lucky to have my water and hat, but I guess it was dumb to try to walk in that heat. (Pause) I am walking and I hear a car start to come by. At first, I don’t pay any attention until I hear the brakes screech. I turn around wondering what is going on; maybe a deer ran out in front of the car or something. Then, I see a gun pointed at me.

Chaplain = A gun?

Patient = Yes, pointed right at my face. Two other guys jump out of the car and rush at me quick. I guess they knew no one was around but someone might be coming up the road sooner or later. This wasn’t rush hour, but it was still a pretty busy road… So, I stand real still and they tell me to give them my wallet. I give it to them but tell them I don’t have any money. Of course they don’t believe me, so they check and find it empty. Then their faces get really angry, full of rage, ya know? Then one of them hits me with the hilt of his gun knocking me to the ground… Then, it all gets fuzzy... I was getting beaten and I remember hearing their feet run into the car, the doors slam, and the car accelerate away. I laid there for what seems like forever. I finally was able to kinda start limping, thinking someone would see me and help me.

Chaplain = Did someone see you?

Patient = Oh, lots of people saw me… and a lot of people passed me by… Maybe they thought I was drunk or homeless or a degenerate. I was stunned and sad though.

Chaplain = Why?
Patient = Well, I think some of those were church going people.
Chaplain = Why would you think that?

Patient = Well, they had them fishes on their cars, some bumper stickers saying to “Vote for Bush” or “Don’t vote for Obama”... so, I figured they must be church going people, if they are so conservative and all. One even said something about abortion, about valuing life, which is odd considering they wouldn’t stop for my life. I didn’t feel my life was very valued at all.

Chaplain = How did that make you feel?

Patient = Well, at the time I was in so much pain. I just wanted someone to stop and someone to listen to me. Of course, now I feel confused.

Chaplain = Confused?

Patient = Yeah, aren’t those religious people supposed to be the ones who love one another, love others. Why wouldn’t any of them stop, even if I was dirty, homeless, or a degenerate? Couldn’t they see I needed help, that I was crying out for help? I think Jesus would have stopped, so why wouldn’t they?

Chaplain = (I weep for this man. I want to tell him not every religious person, nor Christian for that matter is like that, or at least they don’t want to be. Some are scared to help and others might not be paying attention. The reality is there is no excuse... and he isn’t the only one. Sometimes we seem to ignore the hurting and people in need so much every day).

Chaplain = (There is some silence and I ask) So, how did you end up getting to the hospital?

Patient = Well, that’s the craziest thing. Some guy with family close by was driving back home to see them. He was kinda flamboyant, if ya know what I mean. He had a rainbow sticker on his car... I mean, I never really liked people like that… who they are seems so dirty to me… But hey, I wasn’t going to refuse help. I had been out there for like two or three hours, no water left. I could barely walk.

Chaplain = I am glad he found you.

Patient = Me too! I don’t know what I would have done out there. I probably would have died if he hadn’t helped me… So, he pulls me out a nice cold water he had just bought at the gas station for himself. Man… that was some of the best water I had ever tasted. He had some napkins and tried to place them on some of my scrapes. Then he drives me to the hospital. He fills out what information he can, even talks with the police, and then he did something that stunned me.

Chaplain = What was that?

Patient = He pulled out his wallet and started handing the people in the ER money. I couldn’t believe it. He said he knew they had to treat me but knew I had no insurance, which was true, as I only had enough money to get by week to week. He said he wanted to pay for my bill and if it was more, to call his cell phone. I was stunned… and then he handed me a few hundred dollars and said he hoped this might help fix my car... Oh, and it will be, more than enough.

Chaplain = Wow, that all seems so intense, from the beating to this man stopping for you and treating you so well.

Patient = It is a lot. It has made me think a lot about my opinions of others. I really shouldn’t prejudge those I don’t know or agree with, especially when those I thought would help me did not.

Chaplain = Well, I am sad about your situation but glad you were saved on the road.
Patient = Me too… Chaplain, you are a religious man, right?

Chaplain = Yes
Patient = Why do you think those religious people didn’t stop to help me?

Chaplain = I don’t know. Maybe they were scared or afraid or unaware you were there.
Patient = Do you think they just didn’t care?

Chaplain = I don’t know. I hope not. I don’t think that is the kind of person Jesus was or taught his followers to be.

Patient = That is true. I guess they all aren’t bad, but they all might not be that good either, at least with following Jesus and his teachings all the time like they say.

Chaplain = How does that make you feel, that some don’t follow Jesus the way they should?

Patient = Well, I really wish they had stopped for me is all I know. I hope maybe in the future, if someone is in need and hurting, maybe they will do something different, stop for them, even if they are scared or frightened.

Chaplain = (A silence fills the room and I sense we have talked about a lot and it is time to close the visit, so I ask) Is there anything I can do for you as a Chaplain before I go today?

Patient = Well, I never have been much of a praying type, but I was saved today; so thank God for that person who saved me and treated me kind. Pray for my healing and for those who drove by me, that maybe they won’t drive past someone else next time.

Chaplain = Ok, let’s pray.

Chaplain = Dear God, you hear P crying out to you in his pain and in his thankfulness. God, I thank you for this man who came to help P in his time of need and treated him kindly, showing him concern and compassion. I pray more of us could and would be like that to others in need. God, I pray for P right now as he is in pain, please heal his wounds, both physically from his beating and emotionally form the trauma. God, please be with his doctors, staff, and nurse as they attend to P. And God, I pray for those people P saw who didn’t stop to help the, God please speak to their hearts and let what they proclaim outwardly take hold of them inwardly, and help them not ignore, be scared of, or afraid of helping someone in need. I pray these things in your name. A-men.

Patient = Thank you pastor.
Chaplain = You’re welcome and God Bless.
Patient = I think he might have already… (I hear him say softly as I leave and close the door).

In the story of the Good Samaritan, the Jewish religious leaders passed up the man but the Samaritan, a half breed (half Jewish and half Samaritan) came to his rescue. This guy who the Jews would have despised as unclean was the hero of the story. Who was his neighbor? It was the Samaritan, the guy who showed mercy and compassion. The Jews to whom Jesus was talking to would have not liked this story certainly, but Jesus was always good at making people look at their own faults and own judgments of others.

I am mad at all those religious people who passed this man up on the road, but also was mad at myself in some way. Would I have passed the man up? Would I have stopped to help him? I likely would have been sacred and thought the man was on drugs, but is that really an excuse not to show love and compassion? Certainly Jesus calls Christians to a different life, one that is not always safe but always full of love and grace toward others, even when they may be different from us. Didn’t he say love your enemies? Would that include those different? Those who are our neighbors? I hope and pray I would be as bold and daring as to show love like Jesus in a similar situation, instead of passing someone up for my own personal ease and comfort. What does doing such things say to others about Christianity? About Jesus?

 “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
- Matthew 25:35-40

Sometimes I think we look at how far we have come in our Christian walk but are not always aware of how far we still have to go. There is still a long road ahead for us to grow in maturity and our spiritual lives, transforming into the likeness of Christ and renewing our minds daily is an ongoing and lifelong process.

~ Daniel Brockhan

Pic:
http://www.oceansbridge.com/paintings/artists/recently-added/hgy/stefan-henrik/big/Samaritan_%28The_Good_Samaritan%29_c_1920.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment