Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Fear No More: Forsaking Fear-Based Living













In my previous blog entry I wrote about facing our darkness, how we must move into and through the darkness. Our darkness, whatever it may be, is not something we can just ignore; it must be something we work through and by doing this we grow.

Alongside this darkness is our fear. What do we fear? What do I fear? I remember when God called me to lead and minister at a young age, I was fearful, like Moses I said I couldn’t speak, like Jeremiah I said I was too young. The truth was that I was fearful, despite having giftedness in areas of leading, ministering, writing, singing, and playing guitar.

These fears are not gone, but they have softened over the years as I have used these abilities and received encouragement and confirmation over time. Even in the midst of my fears of not being interesting enough, cool enough, extroverted enough, or funny enough, I have found God telling me over and over to just be myself.

Just like we cannot ignore our darkness, we cannot ignore our fear.
Oftentimes our darkness and our fears are related but not always.

What are you fearful of today? What are things you know you should do, need to do, but have been to scared to do? Perhaps there are friendships or a relationship you need to begin or end. Perhaps you are at a job you despise but are fearful to find something else; perhaps you might then have to start from scratch.

Maybe you find yourself always saying yes to everyone and everything because you don’t have the confidence to say no, because you fear what it might mean. Maybe you have gifts and abilities but you are too afraid to share them with others, thinking others will only confirm the negative thoughts you hide inside.

Maybe you are fearful of being vulnerable, of sharing yourself with friends, with family, thinking if they knew the real you they might run or laugh or be in shock. Maybe you have been projecting an image to everyone, hiding your true self, because you do not want to disappoint others but hope to please them to the detriment of yourself.

Aren’t you tired of being afraid? Tired or cowering when God has made you a unique and wonderful person. This week, I want to start something new on my blog. I want responses. Ideally, I’d like to share these responses in a blog.

What do you fear? What are you fears?
Have you been ignoring them or pushing forward though?
How will you confront your fear(s) this week?

Please comment below or feel fee to send me an e-mail:
Let me know how you want to be identified or if you’d prefer to be anonymous.
daniel_brockhan@hotmail.com

Let’s stop being Afraid,
Let’s start Living Life Abundantly.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. – John 10:10
#FearNoMore

~ Daniel Brockhan

Did you enjoy?
Please Like, Comment, and Share

Image: 1

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous 1 says:
    I'm afraid right now because I think God is giving me what I really have wanted for a long time- someone that could be my future spouse. I'm afraid I'm wrong and I'm going to just get hurt again & waste both of our time. But if God is truly speaking to me on this- he is pursuing me. He is considerate, he is kind, he is gentle. He brings me closer to God with even realizing it. He is someone I could see myself with. He seems to accept what I have told him about my dysfunctional family but I'm worried he's going to actually meet them and rule me out. I worry about him and my other friends judging me sometimes. People are often surprised by my past and they usually accept it but I also dread the day that it isn't accepted.
    ====================
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~ Daniel Brockhan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous Two says:
    I'm also afraid that I'm going to graduate and not find a job I like. I'm a little afraid of leaving my current position since they know me and it is comfortable for me there.
    ===================
    Thanks for sharing as well!
    It is always hard to be somewhere uncomfortable.

    ~ Daniel Brockhan

    ReplyDelete