Sunday, September 25, 2016

My Last Blogs: Erasing the Future

This isn't how it was supposed to be, not how things were planned, not how anything I thought would come in my future would unfold. In college, I told myself I would meet her in grad school, then during my chaplain residency, then here in Buffalo. Is there a her? The years keep going by and with each year, each month – with each rejection, I feel myself slipping, my life slipping further and further away from my dream. I dreamed to one day be a husband, to love my wife, to support her through everything and have someone to support me as well. I dreamed of being a father, of holding my child in my arms, the joy and responsibility, happiness and worries, the support and love that would bring.

This is not my life.

In the last year I have not written anything because I have been trying to rearrange my brain, rewire my thoughts, my expectations; from what I thought my life should be, to what it actually is right now. I kept asking God: Why? Why Me? Didn’t I serve you? Didn’t I move across the country? Didn’t I give up my family? Didn’t I give up my friends? Why can I not have someone to love?

But these are all the wrong questions.

These are selfish questions.

God, How can you use me? Lord, How can I learn and grow through this time? What will I do with myself, if I am never to marry, never to be a father, to always be single? I am still scared of that prospect and it is difficult to speak openly with people about these thoughts, much less this emotional and spiritual transition I have been going through over the last year.

My martial Status doesn’t matter.

Despite everyone telling me it does matter, that I will find someone, that if I pray enough, work hard enough, network enough, ask out enough women. If do the exact right thing at the exact right time I will find her.

But what is my dream really?

Is it for me or for God?
Is it for my gain or His glory?

This does not neglect my feelings. I still feel sad when I see friends getting engaged, married, having children. I grieve what I don’t, and may never have. And I feel hurt when friends get married and our friendship eventually fades into nothingness.

Those thoughts and feelings still hurt.
But they can blind me to God's voice.
They can distract me,
Like all the music, movies, and TV;
All calling me to give glory to something else,
To someone else,
Someone I might never meet,
Or if I do,
I cannot be sure when that would happen.

But God is still calling me. I can hear his voice. God loves me as I am, knowing all my strengths and weaknesses, my hurts and my joys. More than anyone he knows the good parts of my life and the terribly hurtful parts of my life. He knows how much I have struggled and sometimes when I just need to let go.

I tried for two years, in my own power, to date. I went out on at least twenty dates with different woman (a lot for a more introverted person), sent hundreds of messages doing online dating. and tried asking out women in-person.

On the outside I told God He was my priority but (besides working) my time and money were all spent dating. If I didn’t try I would be alone. I pursued pursuing women. I fought, using so much energy to try to find someone, anyone.... then, at a certain point, I just couldn't do it anymore.

It all got harder and harder,
Then slowed down.

Then just sopped.

I literally, could not message one more woman. I closed all my online dating profiles, deleted any leftover e-mails, unsubscribed from e-mail lists, and Facebook pages. I couldn’t read or think about dating anymore. I was done.

And then, when I finally sat there in the silence, it all began to finally set in. The very real and true possibility I might die alone, never find someone, never have kids. I'd wake up in the mornings alone, then at night, every night, I'd face the dark silence, the nothingness, the emptiness.

I cried. I wept.
I was sad, discouraged, weary.

I gained back weight.
I stopped eating well.
Stopped exercising.

Stopped everything.

I wallowed.
I did nothing,
Because that is how I felt on the inside.
Like Nothing.

Like I did not matter.

I did my best to try to avoid this feeling by trying to seek out new friendships or by trying to reconnect with old friends. With a few exceptions, this proved futile. People were and are, busy with their lives, busy with their families. It is what it is, after all, right? Whatever future with new friends never appeared and my friendships with older friends is mostly now all history, distant memories.

I started to read more, picked up playing video games once again – after choosing years ago to stop wasting money on something so frivolous and fruitless. But loneliness will make us ache, make us reach out for something, anything to fill that hole. Sure, there may be a few good friends, but realistically, I don’t see myself calling anyone to catch up after every day of work, especially when I get home at 10PM from two jobs, still have to cook dinner, and don’t have the energy to do anything else.

God is still calling.

I can hear him in the midst of it all.
He is behind, beyond the chaos.

Come Home.
Come back.
Rest in me.
Come into my arms my son.
My love is endless,
Unconditional.

Now I feel my future being erased, being rewritten. What I thought I knew about my life and how it should have been are being changed, being transformed, transformed into something new. I am seeing the sunshine again ever so slightly, the darkness being pulled back a little at a time. God is revealing His will for me, not my own. I am seeing more though his eyes than my own.

If anything, God is with me.

I am never truly alone as His child.

So, my future is being erased, gone from existence – but God's future for me is coming into focus. I am sure there will be trials to come, life will confuse and frighten me. God will challenge me and stretch me so that I might grow. Yet, none of these things are for my glory but for God's glory, for His Kingdom, to show His love, His unrelenting, unconditional love to others.

In all things, may God be praised.

And may my future be written by God, never myself.

~ Daniel Brockhan

8 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your expression of this experience. I've had to come to a similar realization over the past couple years and have made some very questionable choices whilst pursuing my desire for romantic companionship. There was eventually a time when the knowledge that my service is best rendered in different aspects, my focus on other people's needs, and I was seeking the "ideal family" situation as a distraction from the responsibilities set before me. I Corinthians 7:7-8 "For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I." Though the desires remain, always gnawing for attention and encouraged by people and media around me, they become easier to contain with the passage of time and as I train my mind to focus on the new goals set before me. Strength and patience to you, brother. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree so much. Over time I began to see my own selfish nature. Certainly we desire another but at a point that desire surpassed my desire for Christ. I feel it snuck up on me until I couldnt believe what was going on, where was my focus? Where had it been? how did I stray so far and fast? Indeed, God has been pulling me back.

      ~ Daniel

      Delete
  2. You are where you are supposed to be, for reasons God knows. You just stay open to being used by Him, everything will work as planned by Him. I didn't plan my life this way either, never planned on my first wife leaving, never planned on raising my kids alone. Never planned on meeting and marrying another...those things I did on my own failed miserably. Those things I waited on God for have never failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything but the "waiting". I guess if you mean putting do first then yes but I think it is selfish of me to be praying and hoping for a spouse. Meaning, if my focus should be on Christ, it should not matter if I am married or single. People say it is about God's timing, perhaps so, but maybe it is also about our heart. Maybe it is gods will I find someone, perhaps not. But I can be sure it is His will that I follow him no matter what. I only pray that God bring me peace of mind, that whatever the case, I find rest and strength in Him, not that my life will be easy but that my priorities will be in line with His will, His words, and not my own.

      ~ Daniel

      Delete
  3. I like the direction of your rewrite...love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Man! Actually, this isnt a rewrite - this is another writing I did. the one I e-mailed you may go out someday down the road. But I have a few more I want to get out before I close my blogs and start compiling and writing my book of my life/faith journal [well, so far at least ;) ]. Not sure when I will start but I have journal and blogs to go through, put in chronological order, and will likely put it in an E-Book at some point.

      ~ Daniel

      Delete
  4. Daniel, thank you for writing this. You are not alone.

    I, too, am now finding my perceived future being erased and rewritten. Nothing is "right". Our home renovation is a nightmare and we haven't lived in our own space in almost 2 whole years. Andy's job is in question. And the hardest thing - our baby boy is no longer growing in my belly. Life is a struggle right now.

    And you know what? It really has been for some time. I've felt the pain of loneliness and worthlessness before. I've spent time loving and desiring certain men, only to find that they didn't want me in that same way. They desired my friendship, and in some cases physical affection, but never more than that. It shattered my heart. I've been hurt by pastors/bosses who made me feel like I was a waste of space. It still affects my confidence in everything I do.

    These things and others have led to a lot of anxiety the past few years. My past hurts, paired with my present circumstances, have revealed to me that I can't make much of myself. My "plan" ten years ago didn't include destructive behaviors, or anxiety and depression, or a stillborn son.

    I know God is unfolding my story exactly how He intends for it to be, but I don't like it. I don't particularly want it to be this way.

    I stand with you as you look towards the future with a new perspective. What else are we to do? We can't change what we wish did or didn't happen. We can only keep walking the journey God has prepared for us and instruct our hearts to believe in His goodness, even if life doesn't exactly feel good.

    You're an incredible man of God my friend. I admire you. I truly do.

    (This is far from the long response I had typed out a couple nights ago, but perhaps these words are better.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't reply until now. I looked the day after for your comment then forgot to check back. No worries though as I went through my settings and should get notified now for new comments via e-mail :)

      First, thanks for your comment and for sharing. I am always glad for your friendship, openness, insight my sister in Christ! Indeed, you and your husband have really been on my heart lately, my thoughts and prayers.

      As far as anxiety, that is what my next blog was going to be about, as the last few years I have found anxiety building up in me more than ever before. I feel anxious about a great many things nowadays. But more on that later in my next blog.

      I agree, I didnt want my story to be this way. Not like I didnt want to seek God or praise him. I just didnt want to do it alone. As ministers we care for others all the time; yet I hear in the background, who cares for the caregivers? Indeed though, through this time I have seen Jesus as my friend and God as the loving father of the Prodigal Son, who knows all I have done, good and bad, all my desires for Him and for things that are not Him, and He still has His arms open to me. I am learning just how valuable that unconditional love is, and how important it is to show that love to others, when the worlds love is conditional, selfish, and comes with strings attached.

      Thanks again Summer. Know I am keeping you and your husband in my prayers. And I will make sure to let you know when my next blog about anxiety happens, AKA a time when I probably won't work 60-66 hours that week, ha ha

      ~ Daniel

      Delete