Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Journey: My Current Life Theme

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. - Hebrews 12:1
Last night I was laying in my bed just thinking and pondering things as I tend to do... And I just cannot get over how life is so much like a Journey. Sometimes I liken it to Chess, because its not just the pieces involved, but where those pieces go on the board, and also the personality of the person you are playing against on the other end. In Chess, you must stay calm, try to see what is to come, but also must accept that you cannot change any past moves but only can change the progress of the game into the future. So it is with our own life, our own pathways, our own journey of life and of faith, and for those committed Christians we do not distinguish the two, for our life and our faith are so intertwined that to break them would mean utter chaos.


More recently, my journey has caused me times of struggle and trial at times, questioning or worrying about the future, about what moves to make or not make; however, somehow when I lay everything before God he gives me a peace that I do not, and cannot find, by myself. The theme of a journey is that I am continuing my walk with Christ and learning what that means within my life, and in my relationships with God and with others; that God guides me and I follow. However, following also means trusting and having faith, which in the last few years have become such real struggles in my Christian walk because I am no longer under the "protection" of my parents and now must truly begin to learn what it means to have God as my Father, and also have God as my friend.

Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.
Psalm 27:14

The journey is also about balance, for no one goes on a hike without rest, nor would they get anywhere without struggling at times and even falling down from the occasional stumble. But a person striving to finish the journey, to meet the goal, will always dust themselves off and continue, continue because they know that what lies ahead, while now unknown, is greater than what is behind them.

I suppose these are just some thoughts I felt I wanted to let out for some reason. Perhaps anyone out there struggling with trusting God will find they are not alone. Maybe another will re-think what it means to be a Christian. For me, the theme of Journey means that I am following Christ, through thick and thin, believing and trusting that in the end God loves me and knows what is best for me... and that, in fact, God is on this journey with me, alongside me as my God and as my friend, so that I am not alone.

~ Daniel

Pic:
http://www.carolinapathways.org/images/pathway.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment