Saturday, January 29, 2011

Godspell: A Review

 Last night I went to see Abilene High School's production of Godspell:The Musical. What most people probably don't know about me is I have a history with this movie, seeing as my older brother was in another production of it twelve years ago when I was a freshmen in high school. While the one then was a much smaller cast and the singing was more polished, I have to say for the $10, this was overall a much better show.

At first, I thought the larger cast would become a hindrance, because you can only have so many students running around on stage before people start bumping into one another. However, for the dance numbers and dramatic scenes, it actually helped fill out the scenes and invoked a sense of "the crowd" in the times of Jesus' teaching, whether they were excited or began questioning him near the end.

While the singing wasn't as good as my brothers play in 1998, not every cast has a crew full of top choir students (or actors for that matter), which always needs to be acknowledged at any school play/musical. Plus, many of the songs in this musical are quite challenging (Trust me, I have tried to sing along with the CD I own and have trouble making it all the way through one song, whether getting tired and/or the voice range required.) The musical didn't cut any songs; so all the songs combined with the dance numbers, were really enjoyable.

While the songs may have been more professionally polished in the version I saw twelve years ago, it focused more on acting; however, I think the acting in this production far out-did that one, and here is why: I consider the best acting to invoke emotions from its audience; and what I felt in reaction to the stage presence was amazing and quite surprising. During the first half I felt a sense of joy, excitement, and humor; while in the second half I felt the tone switch dramatically and I felt dissonance, negativity, grief, and death. Truly, a great show invokes these emotions from the audience.

Twelve years ago I was just starting out my freshmen year in high school, still trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. Now, twelve years later I find myself doing that once again after graduating from college & graduate school... and though I have felt confusion, this musical has a way of speaking the gospel in a manner not normally done.

Why? It is because this focus is on the gospel as "story" and the story is fleshed out so well on stage. At times I found myself pondering what it really must have been like for those to follow Jesus, to hear him joking, being funny, being serious, and then being betrayed. How did Jesus feel when people got his teaching? What about when they tried to trap him? Or betray and deny Him?

The great thing about Godspell  is that it teaches the gospel message is always relevant. Culture may change, the medium, and ways we share the gospel may change; but the true message and essence of the gospel story is never-changing and never-ending, having meaning from generation to generation.
“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire." - John the Baptist, Matthew 3:11
Truly,
"Long Live God..... Long Live God"!

~ Daniel
My Favorite Godspell Song:
All Good Gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment